Dry Heaving also called dry heaves or retching, which is a condition usually takes place after nausea and vomiting. To definite simply, it means that there’s nothing in your stomach to throw up. Dry heaving is different from nausea and vomiting, here is the main difference on the table as below:
|Vomiting||Expelling content comes from the stomach|
|Nausea||Usually followed by vomiting and expulsion of vomit from the system|
|Dry Heaving||Retching without vomit|
What Causes to Retch?
When experiencing dry heaves, the feeling can be very discomforting and it can lead us to become uneasiness. In order to stop this condition, we firstly should know what are the causes of dry heaves. Here are main causes as following:
- Early days of pregnancy in women
- Brushing of teeth
- Food poisoning
- Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
- Medications that used for chemotherapy
- Stress or anxiety
- Blood conditions such as hypoglycemia or low blood sugar
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Acid reflux
- Migraine, brain tumor, bowel obstruction or other conditions cause vomiting
What Can I Do for Dry Heaving?
In common it will stop on its own after your system calms down. However, if you are suffering from several symptoms of dry heaving, there are a number of remedies to relieve.
- Relax yourself to reduce emotional stress.
- Avoid lying down since it may get your nausea worsen. Instead, sit down in a well-ventilated room for a while.
- Drink more clear fluids to correct electrolyte imbalance. Sip it slowly with small amounts like 4-8 ounces once for adults and 1 ounce for children. These clear liquids include water, juice, lemon-lime soda, and clear soup. Don’t consume milk and any dairy products. Besides, don’t drink beer and any carbonated drinks and also keep away from drinking soda or can.
- Eating saltines or bananas to cease dry heaves and sometimes eat sweet foods can get your blood sugar up after you get up in morning.
- Keep something cold in your mouth just like a piece of ice cube and suck it. It is also useful way for your symptoms of dry heaving.
- Work your way up to soft foods, gelatin, oatmeal, yogurt, and similar soft foods and go back to liquids if the nausea and vomiting return.
- Since dry heaves may occur due to psychological pressures such as stress and anxiety, try to engage in some activities in order to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Take chicken soup to warm your stomach in case you can keep liquids down after having a good rest.
- Dramamine can be used in treating this condition after you consult your doctor.
- To prescribe some antinauseant to stop dry heaving and vomiting from your doctor.
- If the symptoms continue on or even keep worse, it is best to visit your doctor.