Ways to Tell Someone You’re Pregnant
The Rumors Are True, I’m Pregnant!
The sooner you share your news, the better. I know most women would like to wait until after the first trimester of pregnancy before telling anyone, when the rate of miscarriage drops, but here I am 6 and 1/2 months pregnant, and people look at me and think, “Is she pregnant, or just gaining weight?” Being so far along, it’s hard to tell them without getting them upset and hearing them say, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Remember, they’ll know sooner or later and in my personal experience, I wish it had been sooner. I really don’t want people to find out as I go on maternity leave! (Then the baby shower they’ll throw for me is kind of late!)
At work, I wanted to wait until I was about 4 months pregnant before I let anyone know. It’s always a courtesy to let your manager know first. Well, my mistake was I told the wrong manager. I knew from experience that he couldn’t keep a secret. Even though I asked him not to tell anyone, the next thing I knew, a co-worker comes up to me and says, “Do you know there is a rumor going around that you’re pregnant?” Within two weeks everyone knew! So, I didn’t get the chance to be creative with my co-workers and let them know in my own unique way.
However! I work in an Italian restaurant with a lot of regular customers, who at the moment, just think I’m gaining weight! I’m 6 and 1/2 months pregnant and still in the stage where when you look at me, you wonder if I’m pregnant, or just enjoying the Italian food a little too much!
So here are a few suggestions on how to let people know you’re pregnant, without just coming out and saying “Anything else for you? Oh, by the way, I’m pregnant”.
A few I’ve already tried, and will let you know how it worked for me, but some of these I haven’t yet done, but plan to soon. I have a lot of people left to tell!
1. Be sure to tell your partner first! After all it’s his child, too. My husband and I actually planned for this baby, and I was trying to get pregnant. I thought it would take time, but it kind of happened suddenly. At the time we were having money trouble and as we were “discussing” it, I accidently let slip, “How are we suppose to care for this baby, if we can’t save our money?” That’s not how I wanted to tell him, but again, it slipped out!
2. Fashionable ribbon! Tie a ribbon in your hair, or anywhere visible, that reads, “It’s a boy!” or “It’s a girl!”. The first day I decided to let everyone know at once that I was pregnant, I had a blue ribbon tied in my hair, saying, “It’s a boy!” Some noticed and didn’t question it because they’re use to seeing me wear ribbons and bows. The ones that did question it, got all excited, and oh, did those questions start! Non-stop questions; “It’s a boy? Do you have names? Is he healthy? When are you due? How far along are you?”
3. Maternity shirts with cute sayings. Most maternity shirts accent your belly, and show off your natural curve, guiding their attention so they can’t help but notice! The first maternity shirt I wore to work showed a pregnant bunny and had the saying beneath it, “Mood Swings in Progress, Please Standby” Hard to miss this one!
4. Ultra sound pictures. Thanks to a certain proud grandma, I have my ultrasound pictures in a small photo album. I took this to show off and asked them, “Want to see my latest photos? I’m very proud of these!” After they get over the shock and realize what they’re looking at, let them know if it’s a boy or a girl!
Alternative suggestions, that I haven’t tried yet, but sounds like a good idea:
1. Get the family together, for dinner maybe, and afterward suggest a group photo, right when the picture is about to take, say something like, “Everyone say, Brandy’s pregnant!” Priceless! The shocked look on people’s faces in that photo will be genuine and you’ll never be able to get that again!
2. Sending pink or blue balloons, and cards that let them know you’re expecting. It’s always better in person, but sometimes the surprise is worth it.
3. Stuff a pillow under your shirt, walk out to your family and friends, and ask them, “How’s this look on me?” (I love this one!!)
Secrets out now, time to prepare for some questions, a lot of advice, a few tips, and plenty of presents! Remember to have fun with it, and good luck! Keep in mind, good news travels fast, so get to them before someone else does!!